Do You Know the 4-7-8 Relaxation Technique for Better Sleep?
This amazing technique was developed by Harvard grad Dr. Andrew Weil. Dr. Weil specializes in holistic health. This technique uses focused breathing to relax your body and mind.
Here’s how you do it.
Make sure to keep the tip of your tongue pressed against the ridge of tissue behind your upper front teeth for the entire exercise. Position your tongue gently there.
- Exhale deeply through your mouth. You should hear a “whooshing” sound when exhaling since your tongue is pressed against the tissue ridge behind your upper teeth.
- Inhale deeply through your nose for a count of 4.
- Hold your breath for a count of 7 (you can hold your breath for a shorter period of time if pelvic issues arise- listen to your body)
- Exhale deeply through your mouth for a count of 8. Again, you should hear that “whooshing” sound when exhaling.
- Repeat this process 3 more times for a total of 4 breaths.